Sunriver, Oregon is a resort community I grew up visiting in the summers with my family. Thinking about it stirs up nostalgia about summer nights, bike riding, and days on the water. It is a beautiful part of central Oregon and I recommend it to anyone of all ages. Some of the best things in town include:
1. Goody’s Ice Cream Parlor – Just typing the name of it out fills my body with the memory of the smell of their delicious treats. There is nothing better than a day on the water or riding bikes than ending it with a waffle cone and chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.
2. Benham Falls Bike Ride – This 6.6 mile trail is a part of Deschutes National Forest. The trail can also be hiked. It is mostly shady and follows a beautiful waterfall.
3. Bend Farmer’s Market – Every Wednesday afternoon in Downtown Bend, locals and tourists can enjoy the taste of locally grown fruits, vegetables, and meats.
4. Fort Funnigan – I remember spending time here as a little one. It is a great, safe place to drop off your children for a date night. There are themed activities for the kids with crafts, games, songs, and more. There are explorer camps available for the children throughout the week as well.
5. Glow in the Dark Mini Golf – Sunriver Resort’s golf course offers this fun family activity several nights per week. The 9-hole course has neon holes and glow in the dark golf balls. It is one of my fondest memories as a child visiting Sunriver.
6. The Village at Sunriver – Shopping and walking are two of my favorite pastimes. The Village has adorable boutiques, delicious eats, and great people watching. It is a place where you can rent bikes, chat with friends, and enjoy a cold brew.
7. Bend Factory Outlets – About a twenty minute drive out of town, these outlets include some of my favorite shops at a discounted price. It also happens to be the place I got my ears pierced at age 7 at Claires! ;)
8. Walking or biking around the river – The workouts in Sunriver are great. I love to be outdoors sweating, so this is a beautiful site to enjoy your workout.
9. Kayaking, canoeing or rafting on the river – See above, but be warned that the water is an ice box!
10. Deschutes Brewery – Located in Bend, this brewery has craft beers, a brewery tour, and also travels the States for street pubs.